Friday, April 26, 2013

Poker Night 2



Well I'm going on vacation to Vegas soon and I've decided to practice my gambling skills with some videogames. I started with replaying Fallout New Vegas and well that's not exactly the best gambling simulator if you have a luck of nine.

Nothing like cheating your way to riches.

So I was excited to see that telltale games was making a sequel to their amazing Poker Night at the Inventory...which I never actually played. But this time around I decided to pick up it's sequel on the Xbox 360. And I can honestly say this is a game worth buying for two reasons, the first is the gameplay. It feels almost like playing with some great poker player they all have their tells and all have great poker faces unless you get them drunk.

Cheating is made fun with alcohol abuse.

The second reason is the characters. This game brings Ash Williams from the Army of Darkness, Brock Samson from The Venture Bros., Claptrap from Borderlands, Sam from Sam and Max, and of course Glados from Portal. Now how does this motley crew even work for a poker game? The writing from the awesome developers at telltale games that's how it works. The interactions between each character is perfect, it almost feel like they were created just to play poker with one another.

Tell me if you've heard this one before: four time travelers are playing poker...

Now with telltale games their games are more about dialogue and story over gameplay which is a-okay in my book because these guys work with stuff they know and understand. But with poker there's not much you can fuck up here and it plays pretty smooth. On occasion I would get some slow down after extended plays with this game but it never lasted for more than a few seconds. My only other problem really was that every now and then the camera would clip inside a character during dialogue. But other than that no other tech problems have occurred in my first twelve hours or so of playing.
Now like the first game there's unlockables but instead of Team Fortress 2 items it's character skins for Borderlands 2(unless you're playing on steam then you'll get both team fortress 2 items and Borderlands skins). And since these unlockables are freakin' sweet it makes playing and winning a more rewarding experience.

That's some snazzy swag there.

Now all in all this is a good choice for anyone who wants to play a great Texas Hold 'em simulator and doesn't want to go out and lose a butt load of money. I give this game a thumbs up seal of approval and is ten dollars well spent.


2 comments:

  1. What, no 5 angry Brocks? Or Five GLaDOS taunts? All I get is a measly thumbs up. You disappoint me good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't lie it was too hard to decide on what to rate it, there's too many references and quotes and I didn't want to spoil anything. If I had to give it a rating I'd give it five GlaDOS surprising Brocks out of five.

    ReplyDelete